Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pre-Departure Worries

I know I still have some time before I become an exchange student, but I just can't get it off my mind! Last night I even had a dream about going....I got the air port and when I went to get my ticket I didn't have my pass port, my id, or anything! My dad flipped out on me and I had to go home where  I freaked out too! At least it was a dream, but knowing me I'll probably realize somethings miss right as I'm boarding the plane. There are a few things that worry me though, for one the langue and other is my host family.

I'm not actually afraid of my host family, I'm afraid of not having one when I first get their. I volunteer with exchange students and there is usually one or two who come here but they haven't been picked by a family so they are just floating around the volunteers. I do not want that to be me! But I think I am just over thinking it. I mean I have not gotten any emails about my family or anything about where I'm going to stay, but I haven't gotten any emails telling me when to get my shots either, and that's pretty important too. I know that if I'm going to be some place rural I need a rabies shot, yellow fever, hepatitis B & A, typhoid, and some thing called routine. My whole arm will be swollen, but I'm not afraid of shots so I should be good. 


Another thing I'm worried about is the langue. You would think that since my mom is a Spanish teacher I should be fluent in Spanish, right? Well your wrong, I suck at Spanish and on top of that they have another official langue in Paraguay, Guaraní. I'm screwed...I do know one word though, piranha, you know it too, the man eating fish. If I really try I think I can pull through, I'll just bring some dictionary's and hope for the best. I know this sounds extremely corny, but I know the universal langue of laughter, it really works. Because I've known so many exchange students I've learned some good ways of communicating with out words. Kids are great at it! When I was younger it was easier for me to connect with exchange students, not that it's hard now, but teenagers can be weird sometimes, but almost all of us love kids! If you ever want to host exchange students make sure you have at least one kid, or teenager living in your house with you, it really adds so much to the experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment