Sunday, July 22, 2012

My Job

It acured to me that you probably don't even know that I have a job here. Well if you do know then that is great, but you still probably don't know what I do. I work at a day care for kids who have very poor families. Technically it's not a "job" I don't get paid, I came to Paraguay for a Community Service Project, so that's what my job is. I truly enjoy it, but I'm not exactly sure if I work very well with kids, but I try.

Here is my daily schedule:

Wake up around 6:30
Walk to the bus stop at 7:30
Get off the bus at the stadium and walk to work around 7:45
Get to work and start work at 8:00
Leave work around 11-11:30 and walk to the restaurant
Hang out there until 9:30-11
(most days I walk to the market or the plaza or something, but not really at any particular time)
Go to sleep usually around 10:30

Some days it gets boring, but everyday is always different from the last. At work I usually do the same sort of stuff too. Usually I'm with the littlest kids, and I like working with them much more so I'll tell you what they do: in the morning when I get there they watch TV, usually The Backyardigans, Zoboomafoo, or Bob the Builder, they are all in Spanish which is strange because I've watched all of those in the US before. They love  The Bacakyardigans, when it comes on they sand and sing along and smile, it's so cute! They also play with the toys as they watch TV. On nice days we take them outside to play with all slides, swings, and spinning things that I don't know the name of. Oh, and you know how in Spanish class they always teach you to say "montar en el caballo" and you sit there and think, "why do I need to learn this in Spanish, I barely use it in English? Well, the little kids love riding the rocking horses and they use it all the time, so now I finally see its point! After that all of the kids, except for this one, go inside and we put them in strollers, give them milk and push them back and forth until they fall asleep. The one lady always tell me to much them very fast and crazily like she does, but if I was being pushed like that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep. Eventually, they all do though. The one kid though, he just has to play, yesterday they had me play with him outside with the older kids. He went on the swing and I swung him for a long time, after a while he fell asleep. I brought him inside, but the lady acted like I needed to wake him up. I don't understand, he obviously needs a nap and all the other kids are sleeping, why can't he sleep too, there is room. Another lady told me to put him on a bed, and he got to sleep for a little. When they wake up they play for a little bit longer, then around 10:00 or 10:30 they eat lunch. Usually it's some kind of soap, it always smells really good. At least half of the kids can feed them selves most of the time. There are two little babies the one lady has to feed baby food to, they're twins, and they seem to really like my hair! After lunch, which can sometimes give me a headache, some of the kids put up a fight when it comes to eating, they go back to the main room and watch TV. The thing is, by then there are no more kid shows on so they watch this dance show, I think it's like "So You Think You Can Dance," except they dance and dress extremely inappropriately, but no one seems to care, I don't really understand it. During that time they change their clothes too, I don't know what the point is to that either? I'm sure they have some good reason, but that is right around the time that I leave so I don't really know what they do for the rest of the day. (Sorry for such a long paragraph, I tried to write this quickly.)

When I'm done with work I walk back to the restaurant, like I said, it doesn't even take 15 minutes so I don't mind. After that I wait for my host siblings to come, but that can take a few hours, at least on most days. So yeah, that's pretty much what I do everyday, well, I do walk around, but that's for a different post, I guess.


I don't have any pictures of my work, but this is the road that my work is on. The reddish wall on the right is a part of the fence that runs around the daycare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment